The Best War Ever

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Craptacular TV

Ok so my life must be close to an end. I actually had the misfortune of watching a decidely wretched television show last night on MTV called My Super Sweet 16. Yeah I know, two things are wrong with this last sentence. I was watching TV and I actually expected something out of MTV. How could I be so naive? Let me get my bitching out of the way. I remember when MTV was just a broadcast medium for promoting MUSIC, but evidently those days are long gone. The joke used to be that MTV stood for Madonnas Three Videos but I think now it could stand for maladjusted teen vices. So with that said, I braced myself for whatever kind of nausea inducing event this was going to be. If you havent had the (dis)pleasure of watching this show, let me set up the premise for you. Mommy and Daddy have lots of money, Mommy and Daddy mate and spawn,(and in these cases should have eaten their offspring) Mommy and Daddy make societies next little monster. So this particular episode showed a girl who was planning her party and doing the thing that most rich little girls do, bitch. She didnt like her dress, she didnt like people making out at HER party, she loved her brand new BMW that her father gave her. She said (and I quote) "My father spent $300,000 on my party and I'm worth every cent of it."
Does anyone remember after 9/11 when all of us here in the states asked ourselves collectively "Why do they hate us?" Need we look any further? Yes yes yes, I'm invoking 9/11 for yet another lame excuse but rather than focus on that, consider this. We are by far one of the wealthiest countries on the planet. Doesnt it seem that we do in fact have aristocracy, we just dont have the monarchy to go with it? I'm curious as to where we go from here. We complain as a culture about all kinds of things, but this kind of schlock is welcome on TV? I guess as a culture though if we can support Jerry Springer, we can support this kind of crap too. Me personally, I'm disgusted and just wonder what kind of children can watch this and think that this show is entertaining.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

free web counters

Powered by Blogger

Get Thunderbird!

Web browser

Blogwise - blog directory

Blog-Watch - The Blog Directory

Blogarama - The Blog Directory\

Find Blogs in the Blog Directory

Subscribe in Bloglines

Rate Me on BlogHop.com!